Carers NSW is closely monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the ongoing government response and the wide ranging impacts it has on carers. Below is our latest COVID-19 information and resources for carers.
*Last updated 20 September 2021
Some restrictions eased in Local Government Areas of concern
On 19 September 2021, the NSW Premier announced that from Monday 20 September, some restrictions in Local Government Areas (LGAs) of concern will be eased, as vaccination rates continue to rise in Sydney’s West and South-West.
Key changes relevant to carers include:
- There will be no limit on the duration of outdoor exercise and recreation
- Outdoor gatherings of up to five fully vaccinated people (not including children aged 12 and under) will be allowed in a person’s LGA or within 5km of home
- Shopping for essential items can be done 5km from home or within your LGA
- A person’s single’s bubble buddy can live anywhere in Greater Sydney
Restrictions lifted for some parts of regional NSW
On Thursday 16 September 2021, the NSW Deputy Premier announced that additional parts of regional NSW which have seen zero COVID-19 cases for at least 14 days will have stay at home orders lifted from 1:00pm Thursday 16 September. Some restrictions will remain to ensure the safety of these communities.
Local Government Areas (LGAs) still seeing COVID case numbers will continue to follow stay-at-home orders. NSW Health will monitor these areas and provide updates as circumstances develop.
The rules across regional NSW are expected to change - for an up to date list of the regional LGAs where stay-at-home orders remain in place, visit the NSW Government website.
Highlighted below are the restrictions particularly relevant to carers, that apply to all people in regional LGAs where stay-at-home orders no longer apply:
Meeting with others:
- Up to five visitors will be allowed in a home (not including children 12 and under)
- Up to 20 people can gather in outdoor settings
- Retail stores can reopen under the “one person per 4sqm rule”
- Gyms and indoor recreation facilities can open under the “one person per 4sqm rule” and can offer classes for up to 20 people
- Sporting facilities including swimming pools can reopen
- Schools will re-open with COVID Safe measures in place
Travel in the community:
- Carpooling will be permitted
- Masks will remain mandatory for all indoor public venues, including public transport, hospitality, retail and business premises, on planes and at airports
- Children aged under 12 will not need to wear a mask indoors
For more information and the full list of rules, visit the NSW Government website.
Tailored information for carers
Carers NSW will continue to provide updates via the News page of our website and via our Facebook page. Resources developed by Carers NSW to support carers to manage the practical and emotional challenges of caring through COVID-19, are available on our Carer Resources page, using the search term 'COVID'.