Carer Gateway is the national network of support services for carers which commenced in April 2020.
Carer Gateway services are free to access for anyone caring for a family member or friend who is living with a disability, a long term medical condition, mental illness, alcohol or drug dependency or someone who is frail due to age.
What services are available
Services for carers through Carer Gateway include:
- Individual counselling: To help carers maintain health and wellbeing in their caring role, and to assist in times of stress and overwhelm. Sessions can be delivered either in person or online. Carer Gateway counsellors are experienced with carer specific issues.
- Peer support: Helping carers connect with people in similar situations. Delivered in a group setting with a Carer Gateway facilitator, either face to face or online.
- Carer directed support packages: Financial assistance available for carers to access carer support services and for one off purchase to aid in the caring role.
- Planned and emergency respite: Temporary care for the person being looked after while the carer takes a break, or in case of an emergency.
- Carer coaching: Assist carers in acquiring the skills needed in their caring role, and help them setting and meeting their own goals. Available in person or online.
- Group counselling (coming soon): Helps carers to recognise common issues, feel understood by each other and experience a greater sense of belonging and reduced isolation. Sessions are in person and facilitated by a Carer Gateway counsellor.
How to access these services
Carers can access these services by calling Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737 (Monday to Friday) or visiting www.carergateway.gov.au
Carer Gateway is the new contact point for emergency respite for carers and is available 24 hours a day for emergency respite.
The Australian Government has committed $700 million over five years to Carer Gateway, which is delivered through a network of Not-for-Profit (NFP) organisations known as Carer Gateway Service Providers.
Carers NSW is the dedicated Carer Gateway Service Provider across Hunter New England, the Central Coast and North Coast of NSW.
No matter where you are located in NSW or Australia, you can contact Carer Gateway and be connected to the Carer Gateway Service Provider in your region.
Some service delivery may be impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic with some limitations on face to face contact.