Many carers across NSW have been impacted by recent severe flooding, especially in Northern NSW and North Western Sydney. Now that weather conditions have eased, many carers and their communities are focused on the recovery effort.
Service NSW providers a customer care service for NSW residents affected by severe storms and floods.
Visit www.service.nsw.gov.au/floods or phone 13 77 88 (open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) for information about the support available to you, including links to:
- Evacuation centre information
- Travel advice
- Support to reunite with family members
- Business relief packages
- Assistance with waste removal
- Assistance with replacement documents
Complete the online Disaster Assistance Finder to receive a list of specific support options available to you as a business owner, farmer or primary producer, property owner, renter or volunteer firefighter/SES.
If you are directly affected by the floods in NSW, Services Australia have lump sum payments and ongoing, short term allowances which you may be eligible for.
- The Disaster Recovery Payment is available to people affected in selected areas, and can be applied for until 20 September 2021.
- If you have lost income as a direct result of the floods, you may be eligible to receive the Disaster Recover Allowance, which can also be applied for until 20 September 2021.
Practical and emotional support for carers
- Carers requiring practical and emotional support including emergency respite are encouraged to phone Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737 or request a callback at www.carergateway.gov.au/request-call-back. Please note that road closures and phoneline issues may mean that some service provision is limited.
- Carers in Hunter New England, Central Coast and North Coast areas of NSW, where Carers NSW is the Carer Gateway Service Provider, can email cgintakeNSW4@carersnsw.org.au if unable to get through to Carer Gateway via phone. The Carer Gateway website and online services can also be accessed at one of the following PCYC clubs (if not closed due to flooding): Grafton, Muswellbrook, Tweed Heads, Moree, Armidale, Tamworth and Kempsey.
Any unmet needs carers are experiencing due to flooding in NSW can be reported to the Carers NSW Policy team by emailing email@example.com.