Benefits of paid work
Many carers prefer to balance paid work with their caring responsibilities, even though it can be challenging. Paid work allows carers to:
- Earn an income
- Build up their superannuation
- Pursue their own interests and personal development
- Build their social skills and networks
- Develop their self-esteem and confidence
- Take a break from their caring responsibilities.
However, carers often find it difficult to get a job that fits with their caring responsibilities, and to achieve the flexibility they need within the workplace.
Rights in the workplace
Carers have a number of rights that protect them in the workplace. This includes: