Caring for a child with disability
A number of different supports are available to those in NSW caring for children and young people under the age of 18 years.
Better Start closing June 2021
Carers NSW has provided information, resources and referrals to parents of children with disability in NSW under the Better Start for Children With Disability program for a number of years.
Due to the rollout of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in NSW, this program is being gradually wound down, and will close completely on 30 June 2021.
- To use any remaining Better Start funding, Early Intervention Service Providers must be chosen from the Department of Social Services (DSS) Better Start Early Intervention Service Provider Panel.
- Access to Medicare rebates through the Better Start for Children with Disability initiative is still available to children under the age of thirteen with an eligible diagnosis.
- Free Early Days Moving Forward workshops are delivered across NSW to parents and guardians of children with disability aged 0-12 years who are seeking information on accessing the NDIS. Register for a workshop.
- Free NDIS Plan Information Sessions are available over the phone or online for parents and guardians of children aged 0-12 with disability or developmental delay who are looking for support with starting their child’s NDIS plan or using their child’s NDIS plan more effectively.
- Useful Links is an information guide that has been developed for parents and guardians of children with disability
You can phone Carers NSW to talk with a Better Start team member or firstname.lastname@example.org about the support available.
Help transitioning to the NDIS
Children registered for Better Start should be able to transition into the NDIS.
NDIS - Early Childhood Early Intervention
If your child is not eligible for the NDIS, they may be eligible for the Government’s Continuity of Support arrangement from 1 April 2021.
Until 30 June 2021, the Better Start team at Carers NSW can still help you and your family navigate the NDIS.