If you receive a pension or have a limited income, you may be eligible for a range of concessions and discounts to help meet the cost of essential services like transport and healthcare.

Concession cards

In NSW, most concessions and discounts are only available if you or the person you care for hold a current and eligible concession card from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs, or a NSW Seniors Card.

Types of concessions

Centrelink cards

Centrelink offers a range of concession and health care cards depending on the payment you receive. Visit the Centrelink website for a list of available cards.

If you are eligible for Carer Payment you will receive a Pensioner Concession Card which enables you to access cheaper healthcare and discounts on some goods and services e.g. transport and car registration renewal.


Companion Card

The Companion Card is issued to people who have a significant, lifelong disability and will require attendant care for the rest of their life. The Companion Card allows a person’s carer free entry into participating venues and events, promoting the rights of people with disability to fair ticketing and making community access more affordable. Companion Cards are not means tested and those assessed as eligible have the card for life.

When applying for a Companion Card, the person you care for must:

  • be a permanent resident of Australia, residing in NSW 
  • demonstrate that they have a significant, permanent disability
  • demonstrate that, due to the impact of the disability, they would be unable to participate in most community activities without attendant care support
  • demonstrate that the need for this level of attendant care will be life-long.

Find out more on the Companion Card website.


Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) cards

DVA Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) and Gold Card holders are eligible for a range of concessions including health, transport, household and vehicle services. Read the Department of Veterans’ Affairs factsheet to find out more.


Energy rebates

The NSW Government provides rebates for energy bills for some customers including those with special medical needs. Visit the Department of Industry website to find out more.


Hospital Car Parking

From 1 July 2018, all public hospital car parks will offer concessional rates for some carers. These include:
  • patients and their carers who require treatment over a period of time
  • patients and their carers who are attending more than twice weekly, including carers of long-term patients who visit frequently
  • those experiencing financial hardship
  • holders of a disabled parking permit 
  • holders of a gold veterans affairs card 
  • Centrelink beneficiaries who qualify for a pensioner concession card or a health care card 
  • ongoing cancer treatment patients
Read the NSW Health website to find out more.


NSW Seniors Card

The NSW Seniors Card is available to people over 60 who work less than 20 hours per week on average per annum (there is no asset or income test). Benefits include:
  • reduced fares on government (Gold Opal card) and non-government run transport in NSW
  • discounts from various businesses providing goods and services and other leisure activities
  • discounts to events in NSW such as the Sydney Royal Easter Show
  • special rates for various galleries, restaurants, clubs and holiday venues
  • discounted professional services including insurance and legal services
Visit the Service NSW website to find out more.


Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme

The Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme (TTSS) subsidises the taxi travel costs of people with a qualifying severe and permanent disability, who are unable to use public transport. More information is available on the Transport for NSW website.



    High Contrast Switch

    Carers NSW acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land, Elders past and present and all Aboriginal people.